A six-foot clown statue is the centrepiece of a stage made from a selection of British stones supplied by Stone UK Limited at Stanley Park in Blackpool. The statue dedicated to the legendary clown Charlie Cairoli who appeared at Blackpool Tower Circus from the outset of World War 2 in 1939 until 1979 stands holding two buckets of water at the centre of a compass star design with each point made from buff and grey regional British sandstones.
The installation is thanks to Blackpool Council, local councillors along with the Friends of Stanley Park Group who commissioned the statue. The statue was designed by local artist Brian Nicholson with the project being fully sponsored and funded by Balfour Beatty.
Stone UK Limited was approached by Blackpool Council to supply the stone for the project. Managing Director David Evan’s noted, “We are very proud to supply Blackpool Council with our natural British stone for this project and feel that the designer has made outstanding use of the material which complements the statue beautifully”.
The design has taken six years to be realised and is a great addition to the rose gardens at Stanley Park. With the statue at the centre, a compass formation made up of tumbled yorkstone setts along with each point of the design made from buff and grey sandstones from Yorkshire and Lancashire.